My Favourite Fashion Brand: Versace

Versace was founded in 1978 in Milan, by Gianni Versace. Gianni Versace was close friends with several high profile stars in the industry such as Elton John, Naomi Campbell, Cher, and Madonna. When they started showing up to photoshoots and awards ceremonies wearing Versace people were interested and took notice of the brand. He was first to realise the celebrities sat in the front row had the most influential effect and if he could get them in Versace that others would follow. In 1997, after the death of Gianni, Donetella Versace became the artistic director and has since led the brand, Gianni considered his sister Donetella to have been his first muse and the pair worked together very closely before she took over the brand and led it to be recognised everywhere for its unique black and gold print, alongside the head of Medusa which is also a running theme throughout the brand. Gianni took inspiration from Greek artwork and wanted people to fall involve with Medusas Head just as he had; and for it to become associated with his brand. Ironically Medusa symbolises warning against lust and vanity and Versace has became seductive and powerful as a brand.

In 2018 Micheal Kors bought Versace and it is now part of a group including Micheal Kors, Jimmy Choo and Versace, Capri Holdings. Versace has a very well recognised print which is established globally and often incorporated into a lot of their pieces. This allows you to recognise something as Versace without ever looking at the label.

For me Versace has become a favourite of mine fairly recently, due to their fashion shows and MET gala looks in the past few years. Most recently Bella Hadid’s purple look in Milan as she walked in the SS23 fashion show. Additionally another memorable look for me was Kendall and Kylie Jenners feathered dresses which they wore to the MET in 2019, the detail in both of the dresses was immaculate, especially since Kendall’s wings for her dress were put together the night before the gala. Not to mention this years look designed by Versace and worn by Blake lively which mirrored the oxidation effect of the Statue of Liberty, and the bodice of the dress to represent the empire state building down to the finest detail. Versace to me has design aswell as the name, the thought that goes into each garment is amazing to me, and their couture pieces as well as their ready-to-wear pieces all have unique design and imagination which makes me love the brand.

Bella Hadid SS23

Kylie and Kendall Met gala 2019